Numerous lifestyle factors, occupational hazards, and health conditions can contribute to chronic aching throughout the body. Slouching, lack of exercise, injury, osteoporosis, and repetitive motion all increase the risk for bone and joint pain.
Here are 8 effective natural pain relief strategies you can use, broken up into day-to-day actions and specific supplements.
4 day-to-day actions for natural joint pain relief
- Exercise – Tightness in your muscles can lead to joint pain. Swimming, walking, running, and biking help reduce the pain by strengthening and stretching your soft tissues.
- Losing weight – The joints and bones deteriorate from the stress of excess weight. Extra pounds are especially problematic in the context of a bone disease such as osteoporosis. Losing even 5 pounds can deliver ongoing pain relief.
- Epsom soak – Epsom salts have traditionally been used to treat aching in the joints and muscles. The Epsom Salt Council recommends dissolving 2 cups of the salt (magnesium sulfate) in a standard tub, then soaking for a minimum of 12 minutes.
- Anti-inflammatory diet – “The easiest way to prevent against pain long-term is a change in diet,” noted Dr. Josh Axe. “Chronic inflammation in the body causes weakness and will eventually lead to tissue death.” Try an anti-inflammatory diet, which means increasing foods such as cold-water fish, walnuts, and chia seeds.
4 supplements to help curb joint pain
- Olive oil – Naturopathic dieticians recommend eating 2 tablespoons of olive oil per day for pain relief. The oleocanthal within the oil suppresses the activity of COX-1 and COX-2, which are inflammatory enzymes within the body.
- Blackstrap molasses – Containing magnesium, potassium, and calcium, blackstrap molasses is potent, reported Janice Taylor of Natural Living Ideas. This supplement is believed to make your bones stronger and more resilient.
- Capsaicin – This compound is found within hot peppers such as cayenne peppers. You can buy cream or make your own for topical relief. Incredibly, a 2011 study from the British Journal of Anaesthesia noted that “[a] single 60-min application in patients with neuropathic pain produced effective pain relief for up to 12 weeks.”
- Ginger / turmeric – You can make tea out of these two herbs. Ginger blocks the body’s inflammatory response. Turmeric contains the anti-inflammatory compound curcumin.
Help to stop your chronic pain
Are you suffering from joint pain? Sometimes at-home natural pain relief strategies are not enough on their own.
At the North Phoenix Pain Stop Clinic, we integrate both conventional and alternative medicine to ensure you lasting pain relief. Receive a free consultation and X-rays.